During my summer internship at YouTube, I conducted a small research project to gain insights into how fans collect, store, and share artefacts from their interactions with YouTube creators. Due to signing an NDA, not all details of the project can be shown.
At the start of my YouTube internship I was tasked with creating a small research project to conduct while I attended a large creator event as part of my main summer project. My brief was that I should investigate fan or creator behaviour and that the creator event was the perfect place to run the study, even though it occurred only a few days into my internship. As a result I had to devise a study to meet that criteria in a very compressed time-frame.
Given the compressed timeline in which I was required to create and execute this study, the expectations of my team of what insights I could draw from users while attending the creator event were not high. This was perhaps bolstered by the fact most of my time attending the event was taken up by conducting work for my main summer project, and executing this research required effort outside of that already very packed schedule. However, I managed to pull extremely interesting, valuable, and unique insights from the data I collected. Additionally, the unique way I conducted the study - utilizing comic-strips - received a lot of praise from my team, and a lot of positive feedback from my research report. In fact when I completed my internship, my mentor was careful to make sure the completed comic strips were not lost or destroyed, so they could be utilized in future internal research posters.